Monday, March 24, 2014

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)
Source of pic: Wikipedia.
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Current Rating on Goodreads: 3.99 of 5 stars
Pages: 374
Synopsis (via Goodreads):

“If you ain't scared, you ain't human.”

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.


Wow. I simply LOVED the plot! Such a creative and inventive story! I was left guessing and making up elaborate half formed theories through most of the book! (view spoiler)
The problem for me is that I feel I couldn't connect with the characters enough. They felt a bit distant, in a queer sense. But that plot is magnificent! :D
I did like that Teresa was a strong character, though I would have liked to have been given more of her character; I feel I don't know her enough.
Chuck was the only character I felt I knew. He was under-confident and scared; he was young, too young, just wishing for a family and for everything to be alright. He never stopped talking because talking soothed him, helped him take his mind off his life, he was enthusiastic and hopeful, always trying to lift spirits and not give up, and he was loyal to his friends (view spoiler).
Thomas character seemed hard to pin down, as did many of the other characters.
The morals are also interesting. Would you say that we humanity as a whole should NEVER sacrifice some for a believed greater good? Or should sacrifices be made to keep us alive as a whole species? And why should any one person or group of persons be able to deliberate the right morals for us all? And even if there were a consensus from all, would that really make the answer acceptable? When you are a single person living your life around others, you would see 'the sacrifices' different, more relevant, and thus most likely immoral. And yet if you were to be an elected or self-elected dictator, you would most likely view 'the sacrifices' more distantly, insignificant on the big scale and scheme, and thus be more accepting of the deaths if you viewed them as necessary to the survival of your species as a whole. I find it quite interesting...........
So my conclusion is that everything was masterfully set out. My only disappointment is that I would have liked more, idk, 'flavour' to the characters (except for Chuck of course).
4 stars.

Until next time,
MissBloodsucker™ All Sucked Out! XD

View this review on Goodreads

0 comments:

Post a Comment