Friday, May 2, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Steven Chbosky


The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Steven Chobosky

My Rating★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆  (Hehehe before you askk, Belle...yesh I stole the wittle stars from your GR profile page XD)

Current Rating on Goodreads: 4.19 out of 5 (O.O Woah guys. This is hecka high)

Synopsis: Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.



Well I guess that's one way to put it.. Although, personally, I think the synopsis is giving a slight exaggeration on things. The story itself was honestly really weird.. not like quirky, cooky, and odd-weird, it was plain strange. 

Strange. Adjective. Unusual or surprising in a way that is unsettling or hard to understand.

Hey lovelies! Cassafrass here, by the way. *waves*
Ahh Unsettling. Yesh that's the word!
It IS a coming of age story, but I couldn't really relate to Charlie much. Coming of age novels need to have a connection with the readers, especially YA books, since a lot of us are the same age as the protagonists..feeling that teenage angst or whatever o.O (I as an exception, of course XD)

The whole book was written in letter format, which surprised me a little :P I honestly loved the writing style! It's just some of the content that I would like to forget, thank you very much. But anyways, the format was really cool to read. They weren't chapters, they were individual journal entry-like things that Charlie was mailing to this unspecified "friend." A penpal. Us. We see him through...3 years..? Of his life, I think o.O 13-16. Wait.. 13-16...But there was only one Christmas..unless he skipped over writing about two Christmases.. Well anyways, yeah. XD Most likely 3 yearsss.. Or was he 15 from the start? .-. #Confuzzled. I'll look through it again. Or you can be a dear and tell me XD

Moving on.

Where were we? *looks up and skims through* Oh yeah. We see him through ___ years of his life ^.^, and he grows and changes as a person, although there are a lot of bits where we still see ole' Charlie we knew from the beginning. I didn't like beginning Charlie muchh.. He got a bit on my nerves. Dude. Stop crying for every single little thing! Rahh!! and really, although its realistic fiction, it wasn't realistic in the slightest -_- CHARLIE IS ONLY 13/14/15 -cant remember- , MR CHBOSKY!! ....Hm maybe American highschool is different..but I doubt it. 15 year olds dont have sex/drug/abuse/whatever troubles all in a year o.O You shoulda made him 18. That would make more senseee....:-/

..If the author went into a little more detail about Sam (Charlie's crush..like thing. It's complicated.), I think it would have been much bettaaa.....*nods* She's awesome, but that was a little let down.  

That brief rape scene was freaky o.O *clutches head* My poor innocent mind has been infiltrated!!! XD

Errr what else *ponders* Oh! 75% of the book was nonsensical for me. Dont get me wrong, I understood what was happening, but we why did I need to know those things? Utterly irrelevant. Absolutely nothing happened during all those pages. I'm serious. (No you're Cassie! XD Sorry...I'm a bit tiredd XP ..You probably didn't get that but..anyhooooo.)  

The ending was nice. Loads of inspirational speeches.. and shocking, In a wayy... Poor Charlie ;-/ But no, I did not have a sobfest like most people claimed to have. It was sad, but not to that extent of level. Gross and creepy yes. Well I guess if you're really emotional and sympathetic and empathetic and a Charlie lover, yeahh you could cry..I wont judge XP

Buuut on the other hand, if you're really looking for a good cry.....*holds up Book Thief and beams at camera* XD READ THE BOOK THIEF!! YAYY!! AND YOU CAN MAKE ME HAPPYY!! ;D

If you ever heard of the Perks book before, I bet you also heard at least once that "OMG IT WAS THE MOST LIFE CHANGING BOOK EVER!!" Yeahhhh no. XD Lots of inspiration, but it just lacked that special SOMETHING that really changes your life. Maybe a definite plot for one. Or something. o.O But of course, if you want a real lifechanger...*bends down to pick up Book Thief* XD Okay okay sorryyy....juss sayin! ;D *holds up hands defensively and winks*

I would actually recommend it, albeit not strongly, even just for those brief moments of sudden realization about yourself that you would only find out from reading this. Expect strangeness, my dear Grasshoppers 0.o and if you're like under 13, I would say a nayyy....XD Although apparently CommonSenseMedia says 16+.... *shakes head* Not that far. 13 or 14 at least, and you can learn a lot. Lot of the good things, I mean o.o UGH SERIOUSLY SOME PARTS WERE HORRENDOUS XD

Whelp have a nice day! ^.^

-MissOddball™ Over and Out. 

P.S WHO HAS SEEN THE MOVIE? I HAVEN'T,  BUT I WANT TO :D *cough*It'snotonlybecauseEmmaandLogan...notatall.... *shifts sheepishly* XD

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.








0 comments:

Post a Comment