Monday, August 4, 2014

My Ex From Hell by Tellulah Darling

My Ex From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #1)My Ex From Hell
by
Tellulah Darling

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

Average Rating on Goodreads: 3.87

Page Count: 272

Synopsis:
Prior to the Halloween dance, Sophie figures her worst problems involve adolescent theatrics, bi**hy teen yoga girls, and being on probation at her boarding SCHOOL for mouthy behaviour. Then she meets bad boy Kai and gets the kiss that rocks her world.

Literally.

This breath stealing lip lock reawakens Sophie’s true identity: Persephone, Goddess of Spring. She’s key to saving humanity in the war between the Underworld and Olympus, target numero uno of Hades and Zeus, and totally screwed.

Plus there’s also the little issue that Sophie’s last memory as Persephone was just before someone tried to murder her.

Big picture: master her powers, get her memories back, defeat Persephone’s would be assassin, and save the world. Also, sneak into the Underworld to retrieve stolen property, battle the minions of Hades and Zeus, outwit psycho nymphs, slay a dragon, rescue a classmate, keep from getting her butt expelled from the one place designed to keep her safe …

… and stop kissing Kai, Prince of the Underworld.

My Ex From Hell is a YA romantic comedy, Greek mythology smackdown. Love meets comedy with a whole lot of sass in book one of this teen fantasy romance series. Compared to Kai and Sophie, Romeo and Juliet had it easy.


I liked it! It was a quick and hilarious read. Although it had a few (okay maybe a bit more than a few) plot holes and unnecessary information, it had me laughing a lot. I'm actually surprised that it's not more popular. Because even if it DID have some lacking conveyance, it was a good book! *frowns at rating number* Sophie (our main) was a witty character with a wicked sense of humour. But I do have to admit that the characters were a bit two dimensional.

Sophie: the tough sarcastic girl who gets bullied by Bethany. Turns out to be Persephone. A bit of a strange character to be a main...
Kai: The guy from hell. Persephone's love. Jerk. Not very swoony.
Hannah: Sophie's best friend. Science whiz. Beautiful.
Theo: Prometheus. Sophie's protector..ish.. thing.
Cassie: Cassandra the prophet. Kooky.
Bethany: The mean bully.

And that's literally all they were during the book. No one stepped out of their character comfort zone and surprised meee! *scratches head*

The romance was meh. Stop being hot and cold, Kai!! *slaps* You can't keep kissing her and then go kiss someone else and then come back because Persephone is his past/current/I dont know love or whatever *throws up hands* It just Didn't. Make. Any. Sense.

"I destroyed them. You might want to remember that as you continue to piss me off."
   "It's impossible. You're a human," he retorted.
   "And a goddess. Get with the program."

Mmkay, I like Darling's writing. (Love the name :P) This is the first book i've read which is by her. If I'm correct, she only wrote one other book before writing this series..so I can't really say meh.. but the problem is, is that she focuses on the dialogue so much, the plotline and character development falls a bit flat. Because I loved this plot, honestly. I'm not really into too much Greek Mythology, but mix it with some funny contemp background and you totally got my attention XD So it was unique. Her own bio (on GR) says:
Writes about: Where love meets comedy. Awkwardness ensues. 
Heheh I love awkwardnessss *grins* So this was my type of book. I did stay up late reading it.(although not late as I wanted because my dad kept shuffling around the house and startling me into turning the lamp off and jumping into bed.. which I got tired of doing so just went to sleep -.- Which was probably a good thing anyways because I was trying hard not to laugh to loud.), but it was really mostly the dialogue which kept me reading. Aand i'm probably going in circles, so moooving on.

The ending was nice! A cliffhangerrr....which forces me to read the second book. I hope in the sequel, there will be more development, and Kai will have an inner nice being or something (Thin ice, because he IS Hades' son after all o.O), and the book would be longer and still be full of hilariousness ;)

Bottom Line:
A Mythology/Contemporary book with a holey plot, paper people, but amazing writing and I-can't-breathe laughter. Problem with book: It was too short, and Darling couldn't make the characters go so deep within 272 pages, in my opinion. But you should read it anyways even for the laughs. Mwahahah. Or not? *waggles eyebrows* You can decidee.

Besides... can you refuse to get to know a girl who sings while trying to lure some evil baddie creatures towards her with her powers?!

I sang a catchy tune about my light ribbons. 
"Move them to the left, then I move them to the right. I'm an ass-kicking superfreak, I'll do it all night."

   Let me be a lesson to you, kids. There is a reason you shouldn't get all cocky. Because if you do, the universe will come along and kick your ass hard. 

—MissOddball™ Over and Out. *salutes*


0 comments:

Post a Comment