Sunday, August 10, 2014

White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1)
Source of Pic: jenniferarmentrout.com
White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Current Rating on Goodreads: 4.26 of 5 stars
Pages: 392 pages
Synopsis (via Goodreads):

One kiss could be the last 

Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses. 

Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever. 

Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul. 

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world.


Took me a while to write this up :/ Oppss *guilty look*

When I read Bitter Sweet Love, the warden/demon fight seemed so clear cut. Wardens are good, demons are evil. But I guess that's because we were seeing through the eyes of a pure warden. Now, we really get to see the shades of grey.
I think that the wardens and demons are opposite, but neither are 'good' or 'bad' as such.
Like Roth so wisely says XD
“People with the purest souls are capable of the greatest evils. No one is perfect, no matter what they are or what side they fight for.”
#quotelove

Layla is half demon, half warden, which is.....totally nuts because wardens and demons hunt and kill each other. In other words, they're mortal enemies. XD She's grown up living with wardens, and yet she's only been accepted and remotely liked by, like, four of them. Saad, I know >.<
At 17 and in love with her best friend aka Zayne the hot warden....errrr.......*cough* I'd say boy but he's 21, so yeaaahhh......hot warden man more like o.O *cough*, her relatively steady life (if you can even call her life steady) turns into a roller coaster ride (in more ways then one) with the appearance of a hell-hot demon by the name of Roth *waggles eyebrows* Question is, which hotness personified will she pick, or will she even get to choose?

What a charming read this was! Everythang is this book was quote-worthy! So I shouldn't break out too many quotes or I'll just go craaycraayy ^^ *nods sadly and monitors quote usage* XD
One of my fav scenes haass to be THE ZOMBIE SCENE. Hell yeaahh! XDD That was just hilariousness galore! You must read it peeps :DD *cackles*
“Roth snatched the arm out of the air, face incredulous. “Did you just throw this at my head? My head? Are you insane?”
It lumbered at me, groaning incoherent words.
“Roth!” I screeched, dodging the stinky arm. “This was a terrible idea!”
“You have to rub it in?”
I reached behind me, grabbing a box. I threw it at the zombie, hitting it on the side of the face. An ear fell off, landing on its shoulder. “Yes! Do something!”


“My whole life was built around one simple belief: demons deserved to be punished without question.”
What Zayne and Abbot have been doing with Layla is wrong. If they truly cared for her they wouldn't tell her what they do about her demon blood! Their teachings have made her conflicted. They've essentially made her hate herself for things that she can't control. *scowls*
But I thought that Layla was really strong considering her circumstances. But she keeps trying to go through the motions of her life even tho it's never going to change unless she takes control. And right now, her life sucks -___-
Like being treated like a child. Wanting someone she can't have. Being distrusted and even hated by her 'clan'. Practically being told to hate herself. Ohhh! And being treated like scum >:/ What's with this no-touching-a-hair-on-a-Wardens-scalp rule?? Even self-frigging-defence? :O
They obviously don't put this rule on each other! So basically they're saying, you have tainted blood blah blah you're lower than us blah blah we can bash you around if we want but you can't touch us, sucker. *frustrated growl*
The Wardens aren't any better than demons, and yet they act like they're gods! Gaaaahh.

“I can’t live like this.” *pats Layla's head*
What Layla needs to do is realize that her life isn't going to change unless she changes her whole life. She needs to take control of her own life.
Sure Layla has a room to live in, and any consumer products she wants, but those aren't really important. The wardens have really given her nothing but loneliness.
As a child she's been hated and been treated with wariness by practically all of the wardens. What kind of environment to grow up in is that?
And when she grows up? She can't be with a human or a warden. That just leaves demons. But wait, wardens hate demons. So basically not only has she been raised to hate demons, if she chooses to be with one, she'll become Zayne and Abbot's enemy and she'll be free to be killed.
Bottom line, wardens suck. XD

Roth *diies* Errrmeegosshhhh so haawttttt!!! *fans face* And vulnerable in his own way..........and funny, and charming, and sexyy hot demon ass with a side serving of baadness and player flirt ^^ *giggles* I really don't have anythang else to saayyy! At the moment, Team Roth rules *throws confetti* :DD
“Roth dipped his head again, and when he spoke, his breath was warm against my ear. “But I want to talk about Stony. Remember when I said he cared for you, Layla?”
My grip on his wrists tightened. “Yes. Like I said—”
“You’ve known him all your life. I get that.” His lips brushed the space below my ear, and I gasped. “But has it ever been...like this?”
Before I could even ask “like what,” Roth’s lips traveled across my cheekbone. Tiny, fiery shivers darted along my nerves. His lips brushed the corner of mine, and my pulse fluttered wildly. I was so far out of my league with him it wasn’t funny. “Is it like this, Layla?”
Like this? Ah, the touching...the almost kissing. “No.” I barely recognized my own voice. “I can’t...”
“Can’t what?” The very edges of his teeth came down on my lower lip. A little nip, like he’d mentioned before, and my entire body arched against his. “Can’t what, Layla?”
“I can’t be this close to him,” I admitted in a breathy voice.
Roth’s lips curved into a smile against mine. “What a shame.”
The lack of sincerity was epic.”

Ohhh, and I waaaant his kittens <3 So cuuteee ;P And Bambi is hilarious! *grins* Gooo Bambi!

Okay. I liked Zayne, but he annoyed me. Greatly.
Even tho Zayne grew up with Layla, he also grew up apart from her because he was in a completely different environment. A loving one because he 'fits in'. So he can't really understand what it's like for Layla. And he can be so inconsiderate sometimes. I mean seriously? Telling Danika about Layla's 'sickness'??? *scoffs* Yeaaahh good one Zayne. Zayne tells Danika about Layla's problems so she can help him 'look out for Layla' as if she's a child?? Niiice. Danika's going to think that Zayne and Layla are a package deal. So if she wants to be with Zayne, she just needs to be nice to Layla 'cause she's this little kid that Zayne took pity on and tucked under his stone wing. Aaand he's confiding in Danika as if they're a 'couple'. Meehh.

In Bitter Sweet Love, Zayne was so close and protective of Layla, but in this? Yess, he was protective, but I felt he was purposely trying to separate himself from her and do what his father wants....aka getting closer to Danika -__- Which meant abandoning Layla when she needed him, pushing her away and into the arms of Roth (so jeez, don't blame her for all of that hot demon mess......XD), and leaving her alone when he knows she had no one else.....until Roth came along, but he didn't know about Roth's existence at first ^^
I exactly can't blame him tho :/ I mean, he is in a bit of a tight situation, and we can't expect him to outright defy his father just to what? Be with a girl who he can't even kiss? XD Sounds a bit ludicrous doesn't it? I can't help feeling sorry for the Zayne and Layla ship, it's just so......what's the word.....t.r.a.g.i.c. xD Yuuup.
Mind you, from what I've read of the synopsis for Stone Cold Touch, I can't help assuming that Layla and Zayne may miraculously be able to get hot and bothered, and then down and dirty in the next book ^^ And if so, it'll be a whole new ball game for team Roth vs team Zayne XP *waggles fingers*
May the best ship wiiinn!!!! :DDD

4.5 stars ;)

—MissBloodsucker™ All Sucked Out!

View this review on Goodreads

0 comments:

Post a Comment