Saturday, July 19, 2014

Open Road Summer- Emery Lord

Open Road Summer
by
Emery Lord

My Rating: ★★★★ Sweet and hilarious :P

Average Rating on Goodreads: 3.96

Synopsis: 
After breaking up with her bad-news boyfriend, Reagan O’Neill is ready to leave her rebellious ways behind. . . and her best friend, country superstar Lilah Montgomery, is nursing a broken heart of her own. Fortunately, Lilah’s 24-city tour is about to kick off, offering a perfect opportunity for a girls-only summer of break-up ballads and healing hearts. But when Matt Finch joins the tour as its opening act, his boy-next-door charm proves difficult for Reagan to resist, despite her vow to live a drama-free existence. This summer, Reagan and Lilah will navigate the ups and downs of fame and friendship as they come to see that giving your heart to the right person is always a risk worth taking. A fresh new voice in contemporary romance, Emery Lord’s gorgeous writing hits all the right notes.

I loved it. It felt like Hannah Montana in book form though..  You know, like someone who was nobody because somebody.. teenage country singing sensation.. yadayada. Only it was a little different because instead of the "Miley" character Lilah (Dee) Montgomery, our "Lily" character Reagan O'Neill is the star, and we're going to be following her personal love story.

I think knowing Hannah Montana ruined the book for me a bit though XD Because instead of thinking of the book as a light summer road trip read, it was more like every scene in the book was a HM episode o.O Even though I watched it aaaages ago.

And this didn't really help..:
"Matt Finch's guests," Dee tells the bouncer, leaning to glance at his clipboard. Above us, the marquee reads:
MATT FINCH LIVE-ONE NIGHT ONLY
"Samantha Alabama and Ronnie O"
Matt texted us these names on our way to the bar, and Dee cackles at such obvious pseudonyms. 

Did you know, fellow nonAmerican people, Montgomery is a place in Alabama?? XD 
Hannah Montana....Samantha Alabama... Montana.. Alabama... Montgomery... *cough* Such an innocent coincidence.

Anyways, that isn't the main part of the story but I just wanted to get that out of the way.

Meet Reagan, our narrator, who doesn't have a very happy life.

"My family life belongs in the lyrics of a bad country song."

I'm not sure if I was too happy about this girl. I mean Reagan is tough and funny and all...but she's a jerk. She plays with boys for the fun of it, cheats on them, all that jazz. She's also a bit of a hypocrite. Ugh... You have your moments, but overall, it was really frustrating to be in your head for 342 pages, Miss O'Neill. But I understand that your situation wasn't perfect at all.
She's also quite..friendly with the police XD

"My list of offences runs long, and I'm not proud of any of them- except maybe the time I outran a cop while wearing stilettos."

Matt on the other hand, IS perrrrrfect :P He's cute, nice, plays the guitar (-well duh...he's a singer/songwriter...), and also funny with sarcasm! I do have to admit reading Matt and Reagan's little banters cheer me up!! (PLUS THANK YOU. SOMEONE WHO AGREES COKE IS BLEH XD)

"He turns to me. "Do you have something to say about my snack selections?" 
"Nope." I fall into line behind him. "I just didn't realise you were a middle school girl going to a slumber party."
"And I," he says, plunking his strawberry-fest down on the counter, "didn't realise you were a soccer mom justifying her chocolate craving with the fact that raisins are a fruit."
**
Lord's (Bahahah cool name) writing is also just...beautiful. Pluuus she has the talent to make our breaths stop in anticipation...and then kind of... Er idk o.O

"You're a smoker?" a voice near me asks. I turn to see Matt walking toward me, holding a cell phone in his hand. He's wearing a baseball cap now, pulled low to obscure his famous face. 
     "Nope." The smoke curls out of my mouth like steam rising from a cup of tea.
He steps closer, mere centimetres away. I freeze, my whole body paralysed by his unexpected nearness. Leaning toward me, he closes his lips over the cigarette between my fingers. I expect him to take a drag- that long, forbidden inhale of a professional singer. Instead, he tugs the cigarette from my hand with HIS TEETH and lets it drop to the ground. He stamps it out with his shoe and bravado, his arms out like a matador who has conquered the bull.
     My jaw slackens. I snap it shut, but it falls open again. "What. Did. You. Just. DO."

XD You do not just take a smoker's smoke.. That's like suicide :PP

Reagan the tough chick and Matt the sweet singer...oh how will they ever be together *dramatic music*

From the start though, you can totally see it working. Whiiich makes it a bit predictable. But there are a few subtle twists here and there so do not fear! (but the ending was stupid. Stupid Reagan.)

I loveddd Dee and Reagan's friendship too.. like THIS is real friendship. THIS is a real roadtrip. (Belle take notes of the road trip thing XPP) Gosh.. if I just had a friend like that. Life would be perfect(ish) ;) - and just sayin, the phrase "best friend" was used 59 times 0.o

8 year old Dee and Reagan:

Do you think we could be friends for infinity? She asked. 
     After a moment, I said, Yeah. I'm pretty sure we could be.
**
I don't think I can write a proper review for this because even despite all it's flaws (which are plenty), I just really do like this book! and it's always hard writing a review for a book you like :P

So just know it's a great summer read- SUMMER ISN'T OVER YET! WHOOP- and let's all follow Dee's advice.

I guess I do know this: find a best friend, and hang on tight.

—MissOddball™ Over and Out. *salutes*

0 comments:

Post a Comment