Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits
by
Katie McGarry

My Rating: ★★★★ 3.5. I have no idea how to do half stars and I'm too lazy to Google. Better than what I expected!

Average Rating on Goodreads: 4.13

Synopsis:

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. 

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. 

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

So... Okay well I have to admit, the reason it was better than I expected was because I was expecting a really bad book. and by bad, I mean like 1-2 star bad. If I had looked forward to reading this, it would have been rated lower XD I dunnoooo that's just how the mind works I guess. Anyhoo,

It's definitely not one of my favourites, and I have no idea why more than half of my friends on Goodreads put it on their "made me cry" shelf o.O It was okay and such, but no... no tears here..

The story itself is a bit complicated. Well more specifically, the backstory of each character.

Our main MCs Echo and Noah are both scarred in ways I will never imagine, and we do see real character and person development through thissss. It's quite beautiful to see ;)

I honestly didn't really like the charries though.. Noah was eh, Echo was eh, Luke.. I don't even know why he was needed in the story..idiot., everyone was just ehhhhh! Oh but Mrs (Ms?) Collins was okay :P Me likey. She so nice. and Lila. But that's preeeetty much it.

The writing was a little weeeiiirrdd...Kay wait first of all, I want to applaud the PoV changes because it's not easy to make dual PoVs distinguishable. Maybe it's because Noah's writing swore a few times every page, I don't know, but I don't think I was every confused by it. So yeah!
Back to the point:
Actually the WRITING itself is fine, McGarry is a talented author, but the phrases and repetition she usesss....*cocks head and frown uncertainly*

*the pages are from my ebook copy*
Echo on page 14:
I peeked at her through the red, curly hair hanging over my face.

Noah on page 34:
I snuck a peek and noticed red, silky, curly hair.

Just because you add the word "silky" in there...XD

Echo on page 174:
Luke used to give me butterflies. Noah spawned mutant pterodactyls. 
.....well then.
Noah:
No doubt, Echo Emerson equaled siren.
and she gave me that siren smile each time
my siren sang nonetheless
any trace of the siren smile I worked so hard to put on her face faded
That siren voice whispering my name
My siren ate me alive with every movement
Her siren smile appeared
She gave me that siren smile
Come on, my little siren
My own personal siren
My siren sung to me
Her siren lit up my world
My siren smiled at me
I wanted to see that siren smile
A ghost of that sire-

Me: SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP NOAH JUST SHUT UP ALREADY WE GET IT SHE'S A SIREN BEEEEEBOBEEEEBO YAYAYY. NOW SHUT. UP. IF I HEAR THAT ONE MORE TIME I'LL STAB SOMEONE.

I am not a happy camper.

Oh and Noah first got attracted to Echo because she had big boobs. *shakes head* People these days

*cough* Echo also got attracted to Noah because he's hot
-_-

It's also no use to mention fights between them because we aaall know they're gonna get back together anyways.. That's how most YA works *rolls eyes* I guesssss it made it a bit more interesting but...mmm..

Bottom Line:
A love story between two people with history they'd like to forget, a story also fairly focused on family relationships and forgiveness, a bunch of sappy stuff in the middle, really weird phrases which makes you want to murder someone, loads of character development, and overall a quite touching story. Not a must read, but it's a quick and thoughtful one.
—MissOddball™ Over and Out. *salutes*









0 comments:

Post a Comment