Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Winter People ~ Rebekah L. Purdy

Source of Pic: GoodReads
The Winter People by Rebekah L. Purdy
My rating: 2 out of 5 stars
Average rating on GoodReads: 3.61 out of 5 stars
Pages: 320

Synopsis:
An engrossing, complex, romantic fantasy perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore or Maggie Stiefvater, set in a wholly unique world.


Salome Montgomery fears winter—the cold, the snow, the ice, but most of all, the frozen pond she fell through as a child. Haunted by the voices and images of the strange beings that pulled her to safety, she hasn't forgotten their warning to "stay away." For eleven years, she has avoided the winter woods, the pond, and the darkness that lurks nearby. But when failing health takes her grandparents to Arizona, she is left in charge of maintaining their estate. This includes the "special gifts" that must be left at the back of the property.
 


Salome discovers she’s a key player in a world she’s tried for years to avoid. At the center of this world is the strange and beautiful Nevin, who she finds trespassing on her family’s property. Cursed with dark secrets and knowledge of the creatures in the woods, his interactions with Salome take her life in a new direction. A direction where she'll have to decide between her longtime crush Colton, who could cure her fear of winter. Or Nevin who, along with an appointed bodyguard, Gareth, protects her from the darkness that swirls in the snowy backdrop. An evil that, given the chance, will kill her.

So, when I first got the opportunity to review this book, I was excited! The concept seemed so cool and I figured it would be an amazing first ARC to read for the blog.



Unfortunately though, I was extremely disappointed /: The author just didn't execute the concept as good as I had been hoping for. I'm sure if another author was writing this it would have been better, because with as good a concept as Rebekah L. Purdy had, it had the potential to be a fantastic book.
The main thing that bothered me was all of the love interests. It was basically a freaking love square and that bothered me to no end. Love triangles are bad enough, but a love square? Totally unnecessary. She "fell in love" with all three guys too easily. And I know y'all are gonna say "but Tia! The first two were using charms on her! She couldn't have fought it!" But she could have. You always see protagonists beat the odds and fight the compulsions that people try and put them under...but Salome didn't do that.


Which brings me to my other point. Salome was too dependent on those around her. She didn't do things for herself. She whined and let her fears control her. She expected everyone to just be there to save her and to answer her questions. Even when she started looking for answers herself, she still brought someone with her because she didn't want to do it alone. I just *growls* I absolutely hate protagonists like that! Grow a backbone! Be independent for gods sake! -.-



Although I liked the concept of this book, the execution just wasn't up to par. I'm sure there are people who would argue with me on this but this is my honest opinion and it's not going to change. The Winter People only gains 2 stars in my eyes, but if you want to see for yourself then go ahead and read it ^^ I won't stop you.

LittleMissTotem™ Ruffling Your Feathers ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment