Saturday, June 28, 2014

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins :D


 Rebel Belle  

Rebel Belle
by
Rachel Hawkins

My Rating: 4 Stars

Current Average Rating on Goodreads: 3.97

Synopsis:

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.


This was the funniest book i've read in a loonng time! Seriously. I mean okay, the story could get a leeetle (Bee reference, if you got that) ridiculous at times, but yeah. Fun and light ;) I DID find some similarities with Rachel Hawkin's other book series "Hex Hall" overall though. (omg love her name, btw.. Theres someone named that at my school. and yes, I know that wasn't needed information XD Sorryy) Hilarious main character, some urban fantasy aspects (ish; RB's concept had more of a diluted one), a love triangle (wait did Hex Hall have a triangle? Can't remember), and such. But I liked this wayy better.

The concept of the book was neat, but a little confusing. I don't really fully get all the Paladin stuff... I hope that in the second one (ME NEEDS), it'll become more clearer as they (*wink wink for people who read it) get on the mission for (*more winking).

I think the triangle was a little silly at times.. "Perfect" bf Ryann and that dude David that was Harper's (our MC) rival from the womb...o.O Ryan was sweet. David was sweeter. (I mean like from when she got to KNOW him... he wasn't very sweet in the beginning xD) but Ryan was really understanding throughout the book to Harper even though she ditched him multiple times due to her new....difficulties. HARPER GOT SUPERPOWERS DUN DUN DUUUN!!

From the beginning, the story already had us laughing because really? You gotta admit this book is unique XD

Harper forgets lipgloss in the beginning of homecoming -> Harper goes to bathroom to put on lipgloss -> Janitor guy bursts in bathroom -> History teacher bursts in bathroom after -> History teacher kills Janitor guy. Me:


Janitor guy transfers superpowers by breathing into Harper's mouth before dying (0.o) -> HARPER GETS SUPERPOWERS -> HARPER KILLS HISTORY TEACHER WITH HER SHOE USING HER SUPERPOWERS.


XD Basically that, with no convenient finger holders. (Those actually look pretty cool...)

“Bruce Wayne's parents get killed and he goes to Tibet or whatever, and Superman is an alien, and Spiderman had that radioactive spider. Me? I kissed a janitor in the school bathroom.” 

Bahahahah!! XD Yepp kissing a janitor doesn't really go up to high standards....

*Superhero discussion*
Spidey80: So hey Harper! I hear you're a newbie!!
ImBatman: Oooh!! Tell us how you got your powers!
HarperQueen: I.... ugh too embarrassing..
ImBatman: TELL USSS.
Death2Kryptonite: Yeaaaaaa. I'm not even human
Spidey80: and I got bitten by a bug. Come onnnn
HarperQueen: I kissed a janitor in the bathroom...and he...breathed powers into my mouth..?
ImBatman: ....
Spidey80: ....Um
Death2Kryptonite: Well that's....unique
HarperQueen: Uh I... have a phone call. brb

*Harper disappears in shame*
-----

I have no idea why I did that. I'M BORED, OKAY. *sticks out tongue* I entertain myself.

Moving on.
From there, things just go on worse and worse for dear Harper. The popular, something blabla American high school stuff I can't remember.. but she's an A-star student who does loads of extra curricular stufff..that I can also not remember at this time xD I quite liked her. Even though she was this "Perfect model student", she wasn't a snotty brat who misused her popularity.

“And the next time I did school stuff in the middle of the night, I just did it in my closet with the door locked. Honestly, what is wrong with this country when striving for excellence means you need antidepressants?”  

xD Poor gal..

David's sense of humour also matched Harper's. We were all totally annoyed by him from the start because he was acting like a jerk and all that, but yeah... I loved him.

After the shoe, Harper also gains...confidence..with objects.

“I picked up the nearest weapon I could lay my hands on: a stapler. I lifted it, going for “menacing.” I admit it lacked a certain elegance, but hey. It was worth a shot. David placed his hand on my arm and pushed it back down.
“What?”
“Just . . . that’s embarrassing for all of us,” he replied.” 

I can go on forever with these quotes XP

Anyways the point is that is was a refreshing fun fun readd! :D It might not be everyone's cup of tea because frankly, although Harper is a real tough heroine, she's also kind of a girrllyy oneee xD And she was sometimes a taad annoying. But it's worth it, and it's one of those books which you just want to reread over and over again.

Oh and niiiice plot twist at the end, Miss Hawkinsss!! :O So did not see that coming. AND THAT IS WHY I NEED THE SECOND BOOK, UGH. Why you do this to us :(


—MissOddball™ Over and Out. *salutes* (I DID THE LONG DASHY THINGY :D)






0 comments:

Post a Comment